Monday, 8 November 2010

Album Review - Audrey Assad's The House You're Building!


In my initial impressions for Audrey Assad's The House You're Building, I said that:
"...this album sounds like a debut album should - carefully crafted, meticulously recorded and presented as a labour of love."
Having listened to it incessantly over the past week or so (mostly because I couldn't help myself - I just find myself scrolling through my iPod and landing on this album), I think I'm totally, completely, utterly spoilt.

Every other debut album had better be as good as this.

Assad's voice is an amazing instrument in its own right - bringing clarity and brilliance to beautifully written words and music. Never overbearing, never underwhelming - her voice imbues every lyric with just the right amount of strength and emotion to capture your heart and your imagination.

The genre of the music makes for comfortable and easy listening, but the lyrics will tickle your intellect and bring you on a journey of sights, sounds and colours:

I love you more than a slow-falling Summer rain
More than a silence that only the snow leaves behind
I love you more
And I love you better than the grey of the Autumn air
Better than spring in its blooming against the sky
I love you more

It may not be as red as the roses yet
It may not be as strong as the old oak trees, but
Love planted deeply becomes what it ought to be

(Ought To Be)


This may sound trite, but I can't think of any song on the album I love more than another on the album because (here it comes) I love them all equally.

Audrey Assad is one of those artists that show up every once in a while and make you go wow.

The House You're Building is one of those albums that show up every once in a while and make you go wow.

So it's not going to be surprising that the album gets:









This perfect album is worth every dollar and cent spent. My only worry now is, how can Assad top this for her next album?

Here are 2 tracks from the album for your listening pleasure (go buy the album already!) - the title track The House You're Building and the album closer, Show Me.










What do you think about Assad's debut album? Is it great or does it fall shy of your expectations? Let us know, leave a comment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having a male artist dominated playlist on my ipod, it was with a little apprehension that i decided to get this debut! Oh boy what a good choice i made!

The thing that struck me about this album was that it was essentially very very, simple. No flashy guitar solos, flowery synth effects (not that i have anything against those), but instead assad's voice was the star. It's a kind of album that you'll listen to on a rainy day, or well maybe just late at night with some warm lights and a cup of coffee.

So, I choose to believe, as i carry this cross, You'll carry me. Simple truths melodically spun into lyrics, what could be better? If i had to liken Audrey to any other artiste, he would be Jimmy Needham. Not so much for her musicality, but for her straight up, simple yet powerful lyrics, just like Jimmy's.

Folks this album is a must get! Kudos to elvin here for providing us all with a point of reference before purchasing any album, and of course theGLOW where i get all my albums from!

In His Love,
Ian