Friday, 12 November 2010

Album Review - Third Day's Move!


I know I was rather noncommital for my initial review of this album, but after listening to it again (and again and again and again), it's official.

Third Day's Move rocks.

And it could very well be their hardest rockin' album to date.

Driving guitars, infectious drum beats, and the hypnotic Southern twang that is Mac Powell come together in a powerful package that's sure to get you out of your chair and onto your feet (or at the very least, you'll be tapping your feet or bobbing your head in time).

Third Day has a knack for pairing the simplest, most straightforward lyrics with insanely catchy melodies that are easy to enjoy and sing along to.


Here's my hypothesis as to why Third Day songs are so easily recognizable and singable: Third Day song titles appear at least twice in the chorus of the named song.

I shall now attempt to prove my hypothesis, by copying out the chorus of the tracks in the album, followed by the name of the song.

#1:
Lift up your face
Lift up your face
Salvation is coming
Salvation is coming
(Lift Up Your Face)

#2:
Well, you've got love and I've got time
Won't you make a move before I change my mind
And I want to believe it's true
I'm listening close
Won't you make your move now
(Make Your Move)

#3:
Children of God, sing your song and rejoice
For the love that He has given us all
Children of God, by the blood of His Son
We have been redeemed and we can be called
Children of God, Children of God
(Children of God)

#4:
You better give up, gotta stop running
It's the end of line, it's time to surrender
Hands up, turn it around
Fall to the ground, are you gonna surrender
(Surrender)

#5:
Trust in Jesus
My great deliverer, my strong defender, the Son of God
I trust in Jesus
Blessed Redeemer, My Lord forever, the holy One
(Trust in Jesus)

#6:
Where love like a river flows
Peace like you've never known
And joy never ending lives
A place where faith can find
Hope that will never die
Follow me there
Come on follow me there
(Follow Me There)

#7:
Well I'm gone
It was nice to meet you
But I'm gone
Sure gonna miss you
But I gotta keep moving on
Can't stay in one place too long
Say a prayer for me I'm gone
(Gone)

#8:
What have you got to lose
What have you got to lose
And tell me why you're so afraid
What have you got to lose
What have you got to lose
Think of all you have to gain
(What Have You Got To Lose)

#9:
When you're down and you're falling fast
And you feel like your hope won't last
You know that I'll be your miracle
When you find that your faith is gone
You're not sure if you can carry on
You know that I'll be your miracle
(I'll Be Your Miracle)

#10:
Everywhere You go I wanna go
Will You take me with You
Everywhere You lead I wanna be by Your side
Everyone You love I wanna love
Just like You love me
Everywhere You go I wanna go there with You
(Everywhere You Go)

#11:
Sing Your song to me
Oh there's no greater thing
Than to listen to the sound of Your voice
When I hear Your song
I wanna sing along
And listen to the sound of Your voice
The sound of Your voice
(Sound of Your Voice)

#12:
Don't give up faith
Don't give up hope
There's always something better
Waiting around the corner
Don't give up now
Please don't let go
What can feel like the ending
Could just be the beginning
Don't give up hope
(Don't Give Up Hope)


Gentle readers, hypothesis is 100% proven.

And here's the thing, I decided to do this experiment on a whim, so I didn't cheat and read through all the lyrics before typing them all out!

Therein lies the mass appeal of Third Day - simple lyrics that speak straight to the heart, catchy melodies that stay in your head long after you've turned off your iPod or CD player, and the awesomeness of Mac Powell's pipes all add up to create a sound that is distinctly them.

And this album is Third Day at their very best.










Their brand of Southern rock may not appeal to everyone, but I'm going to hazard a guess that listening to this album will make you change your mind.

And for once, a Christian music video that doesn't make me cringe! Check out the official video for the opening number, Lift Up Your Face. It might take you a while to get the meaning behind the story (I had to watch it twice before I did), but once you do, it's beautiful.





And here's another of my favourite tracks from the album, the amazing Children of God:




What do you think? Is this Third Day's strongest album to date? Is the 'two titles in the chorus' a Third Day phenomenon or does it apply across all artists? Let us know what you think! Leave a comment!

No comments: