Sunday, 17 October 2010

Album Review - Michael W. Smith's Wonder!


It's official - one week on, and Michael W. Smith's Wonder has lost none of its lustre from my initial listen.

If anything at all, it has gotten even better with every listen - every melody, every lyric, every arrangement coming together in what feels like to me a glorious conspiracy to keep this album playing in an endless loop on my iPod.

The uptempo songs have a very old-school U2 vibe to them - the bass riff in the second verse of the excellent Run To You is especially reminiscent of the U2 classic I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. The driving beat and syncopated guitars, as well as the soaring gospel choir on I'll Wait For You makes it another track that wouldn't be out of place in one of the older U2 albums.

That's not to say that the arrangements are not original - the style similarities are easily explained by the fact that Smitty is good friends with Bono and the rest of U2 (how cool is that?!).

Beyond these few songs, the tenor of the overall album is undeniably Smitty.

Forever Yours and You Belong To Me are songs written for and dedicated to Michael's wife Debbie - whom, as far as I can remember, he credits on every album as being the 'love of his life'. The latter, in particular, is a beautifully tender love song where Smitty recalls that moment he first saw Debbie and knew she was the one (they dated for 3 weeks and got married in 4 months!).

Amongst the more moving tracks on the album are Welcome Home - written in memory and celebration of Debbie's grandmother, gone on to be with Jesus - and Leave - a heartbreaking song written from the perspective of a young teenager living with an abusive father and struggling with bullies, crying out: I just need to know that You're really out there / Tell me, are You really out there / 'Cause I believe.

The title track Wonder (Not Far Away), co-written with Stu G (formerly of Delirious?) and Mia Fieldes is a declarative rock anthem that has an insanely catchy chorus - I can't recall the number of times I found myself singing it without even realizing it - chances are it'll do the same to you.

Rise is an inspiring, guitar-driven track that challenges the listener to take a step forward into faith - Beyond the obvious / And what you can attain / Past the here and now / Where faith remains.

The album closer Take Me Over is a simple worship song - the chorus echoing the innermost cry of the created yielding totally to the Creator:

Jesus, Jesus
Take me over now
I surrender
Everything I have
I lay it down
All of me

This simplicity is made incredibly magnificent by the soaring strings arrangement that serves as the musical interlude - and when you close your eyes and immerse yourself in it, it's almost as if the music of heaven is playing and God Himself is pouring out his pleasure on the pure-hearted believer looking to surrender his life fully.

I still remember listening to the last track for the first time, late one night with my eyes closed, and just feeling such an inexplicable sense of God's presence in that moment. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.











With 3 Grammies, 40 Dove Awards, 29 number one songs and 13 million albums sold, Smitty continues to amaze and inspire with his very own brand of Christian music - which could best be described as 'in the world but not of it'. Despite his mainstream success, Smitty has always remained focused on the reason for his music - God - and that's why, 22 albums later, we are still listening, and we are still inspired.


What do you think of the album? Share your thoughts and leave a comment!

No comments: