Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Audrey Assad's The House You're Building - First Impressions!


Audrey Assad's debut album is an amazing and delightful effort that will undoubtedly please fans of indie pop/rock singers like Colbie Calliat and Corrine Bailey Rae.

Another notable comparison that's made is of her to Brooke Fraser (still trying to get that new album!).

But where Fraser's lyrics are usually more contemporary and only subtly religious, Assad's writing tends towards overt spirituality (You say I am blessed because of this / So I choose to believe / As I carry this cross / You'll carry me - from the song Carry Me) and in my opinion, that makes for better listening because I don't have to spend time trying to decipher what she's actually trying to say in the midst of all the metaphors and other obscure literary devices.

She wields her pen like a paintbrush, drawing pictures that inexorably materialize in your head as backdrops for a story or message that she's telling. See specimen A - Show Me - the beautifully emotional song that marks the end of the album:


You could plant me like a tree beside a river
You could tangle me in soil and let my roots run wild
And I would blossom like a flower in the desert
But for now just let me cry

You could raise me like a banner in a battle
Put victory like a fire behind my shining eyes
I would drift like falling snow over the embers
But for now just let me lie

Bind up these broken bones
Mercy, bend and breathe me back to life
But not before You show me how to die

Set me like a star before the morning
Like a song that steals the darkness from a world asleep
And I'll illuminate the path You've laid before me
But for now just let me be

Let me go like a leaf upon the water
let me brave the wild currents flowing to the sea
And I will disappear into a deeper beauty
But for now just stay with me
God for now just stay with me


Couple amazing lyrics like that with a myriad of brilliant arrangements - ranging from driving rock to quiet piano and strings - not forgetting her amazing range and rich vocal tones, and you have an album you're not going to tire of easily.











In sum, this album sounds like a debut album should - carefully crafted, meticulously recorded and presented as a labour of love. While I work on my final thoughts about this album, check out another of the standout tracks from the album, Restless.




No comments: